Where Land and Sea Unite to Inspire.



MBA Challenges

MBA History







Don Hamer provided this Adventist encyclopedia  article and the Pacific Union Recorder articles about the founding of the Monterey Bay Academy.

MONTEREY BAY ACADEMY. A co­-educational boarding school on the senior high school level, established in 1949, operated by the Central California Conference, on the eastern shores of Monterey Bay, six miles (10 kilo­meters) northwest or Watsonville, California. It is accredited with the Seventh-day Adventist Board of Regents and the Western Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

The 379-acre (150-hectare) school grounds include 200 acres (80 hectares) of farmland. 25 acres (10 hectares) or lawns, and 11 acres (four hectares) of Colton pine trees. The remaining acreage is occupied by the academy proper, the industries, and faculty homes. There are 3,000 feet (900 meters) or ocean frontage.

The grounds, formerly a peach orchard and truck garden, were purchased during World War II by the U.S. Army to house the 251st Regiment of the National Guard and a hospital unit. After removal of the National Guard unit 10 Alaska, the camp, called Camp McQuaide, was used as a medium-security prison for U.S. Army deserters and men apprehended for extended absence without leave. When Camp McQuaide was abandoned a year after the close of World War II, the holding agency, the War Assets Commission, let it be known that the properly was open for use as a school site at the "fair value" price of $347,000 to be amortized in 10 years as buildings were erected and used for the avowed purpose. On the 307 acres (125 hectares) there were 192 buildings, some of which could be used for temporary school purposes for three to five years. In 1948 the conference secured this property and bought an additional 72 adjacent acres (30 hectares).

With the intention of opening school in September 1949, several families moved to the grounds to prepare temporary facilities. Standish Hoskins became acting principal until D. J. Bieber, of' the Hawaiian Mission Academy, could be released to assume the principal ship. The school opened on Sept. 4, 1949, with 190 students and 25 faculty and staff members.

During the first year the best possible use was made of the existing Army buildings. The camp gymnasium and auditorium were used without change, the bowling alley' was con­verted into a church, and the dental building became the administration building. At the same time the nurses' quarters of the former Army hospital were converted to dormitories and the hospital rooms were used for classrooms.

The first new building, the girls' dormitory, was completed in the spring of 1950, the boys' dormitory in 1951. In the second year a new cafeteria building and faculty homes were under construction. The new administration building was ready for use by the fall of 1953. In 1954 the science building, to incorporate the biology, chemistry, physics. and home arts units, was begun, and in 1957 the industrial arts unit, which houses auto mechanics, graphic arts, and welding areas. The dairy was completed in 1950 and has grown to be the second largest in the county. In 1973 the old Army camp gymnasium was demolished and a new, modern building now stands in its place. A trellis factory and redwood garden-equipment mill, later reorganized to produce the "Monterey Line" of redwood lawn and garden furniture, eventually was placed under the op­eration of the Harris Pine Mills, which added a second mill in 1959 in Watsonville, providing additional student work opportunities. The Harris Pine Plant was closed in 1987, and Little Lake Industries occupied the buildings for four years and continued the production of' wood products. In 1991 Morgan Industries leased these buildings and presently manufactures a variety of rides for amusement parks.

Realizing the importance of' career educa­tion and the benefits or a work program, Monterey Bay Academy has developed several commercial industries. Until recently whole­sale garden produce was shipped to buyers under the name of Academy Produce. Berries and zucchini squash were the major crops grown. In 1966 the school laundry updated its equipment and retooled for commercial work, specializing in hospital linen. Local industries lease facilities to produce Rainbow Fins and antique car body parts. Currently many acres of' land are leased to the production or straw­berries and flowers   on a commercial basis. Approximately 95 percent of the students are employed in some type of' remunerative labor.

The school's first decade saw the completion of' the amortization contract and the acquisition of the deed by the conference. In 1973 all condi­tions pertaining to the title deed were removed, providing the conference with a clear deed.

Principals: Standish Hoskins (acting), June to December 1949; D. J. Bieber, 1949-1957; R. H. Howlett. 1957-1962; C. W. Jorgensen, 1962-1969: K. O. Wheeler, 1969­-1970; H. E. Voth, 1970-1987; Ernie Unruh, 1987 -1989; K. O. Wheeler, 1989-1990; Ted Winn, 1990- .





Copyright 2007 © MBA Alumni

Website Provided and Maintained by Inetking Internet Service Inc. 

This page last updated
October 07, 2010